Well, that was interesting…. To me, anyway. My office line just rang and it was someone unexpected: Maria Perry, owner of Flights of Fantasy, one of the most fun sf/f/mystery bookstores in the Northeast. She was actually calling because she’d had a couple newer writers ask her how they should go about getting published, so she rang me up to ask what to recommend to them. I can’t remember the last time she called and it’s been a bit since I made my way to her store (last Anne Bishop signing, I’d guess). It always makes me smile to hear from her, though, because “way back when” as I was just starting out as an agent and had only a few clients, I ran into her at the first Albacon, whereupon we reminisced about the “days of old” when I first applied to Waldenbooks for an after school job (thinking it would be eminently practical to get a discount on books since I read them so quickly) and she was the manager of that same store. Funny, how our two paths have twisted and turned and keep re-crossing. And that store isn’t even there anymore, long ago a victim to the vicious retail market. Now I have the urge to curl up with a good book….
- Sold! Dresden Files collection BRIEF CASES - out next summer! Congrats @longshotauthor! @jimbutchernews @AnneSowards publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/in… 8 hours ago
- Congratulations to all the Hugo Award winners and the many talented nominees! locusmag.com/News/2017/08/2… 1 week ago
- I can't believe this still needs saying - but please, in your query/submission, don't trash the genre in which you're writing... (1/5) 1 month ago
- RT @saladinahmed: so um this December you'll be able to read a STAR WARS novella by...me! ew.com/books/2017/07/… 1 month ago
- RT @TorDotComPub: SPOTTED: ALL SYSTEMS RED by @marthawells1 made @amazonbooks's best #sciencefiction & #fantasy of 2017 list! https://t.co/… 1 month ago